Monday, August 8, 2011

The verse to meditate on

 Lately I've been thinking about how weak we are as humans. Every day I strive for becoming a stronger Christian, but by the end of the day I realize that even if I did better in some areas of my life, I still struggled.

I'm not perfect, no one is on this earth. As I've been spending time in prayer I started to practice listening in the silence. We are all so busy these days. We're always surprised when the day is over. It feels like time just flew by us. There is so much activity going on around us that we forget that Christ comes to us in the silence. He is that still small voice in our hearts. We just have to be still and listen.
1 Kings 19:11 talks about how Elijah experienced God. "Then He said, 'Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.' And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings 19:11 


I love that verse because it tells us how our Father comes to us. Most likely you're not going to hear a booming voice coming from the clouds telling you what to do in your life. He will come to you in the silence. He will be the still small voice in the depths of your heart. Anytime that I want to feel close to God I spend time in silence. Sometimes it's noticing the beauty in the small things around me that speak to me. God is here, He's all around us, all the time. 

We just have to be still and listen. One of my favorite Bible verses that I heard just recently at a youth conference was this, "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still" Exodus 14:14 Another translation is "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be silent." 


There's those words again. Silent and Still. I encourage you to start practicing silence. It's something that is rarely practiced these days. We read the Bible, we journal, we sing songs or pray out loud or in our hearts. But quieting ourselves completely is an amazing thing. The best way to do this, I find, is either early morning or at night before bed. Do it when the house is quiet. Sit down and don't move. As you find yourself not moving you will suddenly have an itch or want to switch positions, but just stay still. If you focus yourself on something, even just the silence around you, those irritations will disappear. The verse that I focus on when I want to go into silence is this,


"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

It's an amazing feeling to be completely still and silent. I did it at a retreat a few weeks ago and I didn't move for almost an hour. When I finally opened my eyes and started moving I felt like I could barely move at first. You feel like you're waking up from a peaceful dream. I felt so much peace when I finally zoned back into what was going on around me. 

This is my challenge to you. Find God in the silence. Make time for Him in your life and He will reveal    His plan for you.

Many blessings my friends,

No comments: